Telenor Pakistan is 100% owned by the Telenor Group, an international provider of high quality voice, data, content and communication services in 13 markets across Europe and Asia. Telenor Group is among the largest mobile operators in the world with 172 million mobile subscriptions and a workforce of approximately 33,000.
Telenor Pakistan has invested over US$2.3 billion in the local economy so far. It acquired a GSM license in 2004 and began commercial operations on March 15, 2005.
Most recently, Telenor Pakistan has reported a subscriber base of 35 million and a market share of approximately 25%, making it Pakistan's second largest mobile operator.
Offering mobile financial services
Telenor Pakistan acquired 51% of Tameer Microfinance Bank in November 2008. In 2009 it launched 'Easypaisa' to become Pakistan's first telecom operator to partner with a bank to offer mobile financial services across Pakistan.
Contributing to Pakistan's economy
Telenor Pakistan continues to contribute to Pakistan's economy. It has created 2,800 direct and 25,000 plus indirect jobs and has a network of over 200,000 retailers, franchises and sales & service centers, thus providing a means to livelihood to thousands.
Telenor Pakistan contributed over Rs. 147 billion in various forms of direct and indirect taxes to the economy of Pakistan since the beginning of its operations in 2005.
Internet service provider
Telenor Pakistan provides wide EDGE connectivity across the country. It has one of the largest data networks (GPRS) in Pakistan providing Internet services to customers.
In April 2014,Telenor Pakistan secured the 3G License and will shortly be launching 3G services in Pakistan.
Telenor Pakistan has grown to become a leading mobile communications services provider of the country.
Telenor Pakistan's corporate headquarters are in Islamabad, with regional offices in Karachi, Lahore, Faisalabad, Multan, Hyderabad and Peshawar.
In addition to our focus on extending the benefits of mobile communications, Telenor contributes to society through selected social investments. The company’s social investments are focused on long-term partnerships that can contribute to lasting change. Focus areas for Telenor Pakistan are; Disability, Education, Health, Emergency Response and Employee Volunteerism.
Telenor Pakistan's flagship corporate responsibility program, Khuddar Pakistan, aims to create dignified opportunities for persons with disabilities. The purpose is to become the most disabled-friendly organization in Pakistan in terms of employment, service, and community support.
Telenor Pakistan has taken and continues to implement a number of environmentally-friendly initiatives. These include mainstreaming energy efficiency and alternate energy solutions, and implementing occupational health & safety practices that comply with international standards.
- September 23: Telenor Pakistan celebrates customers first day with the entire workforce hitting the streets to interact with the customers directly.
- September 09: Telenor Pakistan makes access to smartphone more affordable through device@retails initiative.
- September 03: TP introduces industry’s first human assisted SMS based customer service facility.
- August 15: TP co-hosted The Green Power for Mobile conference along with GSMA
- June 12: Telenor Talkshawk Internet Champion fifth and final chapter successfully concluded.
- April 30: Operator Billing Service introduced
- April 16: Easypaisa launches Pakistan's first mobile money savings product 'Khushaal Munafa'.
- March 13: Telenor Hum Qadam bags CSR National Excellence Award.
- February 22: PPAF joins hands with Telenor Pakistan and Tameer Microfinance Bank for financial inclusion of poor communities
- February 20: Telenor Pakistan launches Online SIM Delivery Service
- February 04: Telenor Pakistan ranked the most preferred employer in Pakistan by ROZEE.PK
- January 24: Telenor Pakistan Employees clock 5,000 hours of Community Service